Etsy is one of the largest e-commerce websites, offering virtually every handicraft imaginable. The large selection can, however, lead to erroneous shopping decisions. Whether you’re new to the platform or have been purchasing on it for some time, you may suddenly find yourself wanting to cancel an order you’ve recently placed. You’ve come to the right place if that’s the case.
We will explain everything you need to know about Etsy order cancellations in this article. You can cancel an order with or without a shopper’s account by reading on. Additionally, we have some useful advice for sellers.
How to Cancel an Order as a Buyer on Etsy With an Account?
The seller has the right to accept or reject a cancellation request on Etsy. Therefore, if you decide you don’t like an item after purchasing it, you should contact the seller directly to cancel the order.
It is important to ensure that your transaction has been handled in accordance with Etsy’s cancellation policy before proceeding. Upon your request, the seller will automatically cancel your order if you have not yet paid for or received it.
Order cancellations can also be requested before or after shipping. You are likely to be able to cancel your order if the item has not yet been shipped. In contrast, you can return the item if it has already been shipped and request a refund.
To begin the cancellation process, follow these steps:
Cancel an Order Before Shipping
The item may not have shipped if less than two days have passed since you placed the order. In this case, you can cancel your order by following these steps:
- Visit www.etsy.com and log in to your account.
- On the Home page, click “Your Account” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select “Purchases and Reviews” from the dropdown menu.
- You need to find the order you want to cancel.
- On the right side of the order, you’ll see the “Not shipped” order status. You will see a link under it saying “Request Cancellation.” Click it.
- An auto-generated message will appear for the seller. You can add more details about the offer by editing the message. If you believe the seller needs to know anything about the offer, you can share the reason for cancellation. If you wish, you can also rewrite the message.
- Wait for the seller to respond after clicking “Submit”.
Cancel an Order After Shipping
Chances are, if it’s been more than two days since you placed the order, it’s already been shipped.
You can cancel your Etsy order after it has been shipped by following these steps.
- Etsy can be found at www.etsy.com.
- On the right-hand side of the screen, click “Sign in”.
- From the upper right-hand corner, click on your account icon. It’s the icon with “You” underneath it.
- Select “Purchases and Reviews” from the dropdown menu.
- You’ll see an empty message draft when you select “Contact the Shop” for the order you want to cancel.
- Send the seller a message if you wish to cancel your order. Click “Send” to send the message.
Your cancellation request will be received by the seller, who will decide whether to proceed.
How to Cancel an Order as a Buyer on Etsy Without an Account
If you place an order on Etsy without an account, you can cancel it as long as you follow the company’s cancellation policy.
The only way to cancel an order without an Etsy account is to contact Etsy’s transaction service.
To cancel an order without an Etsy account, follow these steps:
- Open the Etsy order confirmation email.
- You need to reply to that email and tell them you want to cancel your order. Indicate that the email is for the seller.
How to Cancel an Order as a Seller on Etsy
Make sure you meet Etsy’s cancellation policy requirements before canceling an order. Don’t forget to ask for a refund for unused shipping labels and collect all the information you can for your records.
Prior to canceling the transaction, send the buyer a message on Etsy Messages if you cannot complete it. You can do this by following these steps:
- Go to the “Orders and Delivery” section in your Shop Manager.
- You need to locate the order in question.
- You can send a message by clicking on the order’s message button.
- Click “Send” after typing the message.
Here’s how to cancel an offer if there is no other way:
- Log in to your Etsy account at www.etsy.com.
- The Shop Manager can be accessed by clicking here.
- Go to “Orders and Shipping.”
- Click on “More actions,” then “Cancel” in the “Order Detail” overlay to access the “Cancel an order” section. A third option is to click on the three-dotted icon next to the order and select “Cancel.”
- Select a reason for the cancellation. The buyer’s refund amount will also be displayed.
- Use the text box below the refund total to send the buyer a message. Explain why you canceled the order or let them know you agreed to the cancellation.
- If you wish to cancel your order, select “Cancel Order.”
As soon as you cancel an order, the buyer will receive a refund, and the cancellation will take effect immediately. Within 48 hours of cancellation, the buyer can leave a review.
If the buyer paid through a method other than Etsy Payments, you must refund them via that method.
Your canceled orders can be found under “Orders and Shipping,” then “Complete.”
What can I do if the seller won’t cancel the order?
You can open an order case if the seller refuses to cancel your order or help you with your request. You can do this by following these steps:
1. Visit etsy.com and click on “Your Account.”. If you use the app, log in and tap “You.”
2. Go to “Purchases & Reviews.”
3. Select “Help with order” next to the order you need assistance with. App users can select the “Help with order” button under the order by tapping on it.
4. Tap or click “Still need help? ”
5. Select “Yes, I want to open a case.”
6. Click “Next” after selecting the reason.
7. To complete the case, enter all the necessary information and select “Submit”.
To open a case without an account, you must first register for an account, link it to the order, and open the case.
A seller must respond to your request within three days of opening a case. You can escalate the case and have Etsy mediate if the seller is inactive or refuses to cancel the order. You can do this by following these steps:
1. Visit Etsy.com and log in to your account.
2. Go to the “Purchases and Reviews” section.
3. The order in question can be viewed by clicking on “View case”.
4. You can escalate a case by selecting it.
5. “Escalate” should be clicked.
The case will be reviewed by Etsy and a final decision will be made. You and the seller will work together to ensure they have all the information they need. Providing as much detail as possible in your case log request will help expedite the process. Please include any photographs, receipts, or third-party evaluations you have.
Last but not least, be sure to read the shop’s cancellation policy before placing an order. As a result, you and the seller will save both time and frustration by avoiding unnecessary case opening and solving.
Do cancellations as a seller hurt your ability to sell on Etsy?
There is concern among many sellers that too many cancellations will affect their search engine ranking. Etsy has not yet officially stated that too many cancellations could negatively impact a store’s search ranking. Your standing may be hurt by the combination of bad reviews and cancellations, however.
There are some sellers who are very strict about their no-cancellation policies, and they often ship items that the buyer previously wanted to cancel. This can lead to negative reviews and case openings with negative outcomes, which can damage a store’s reputation.
There is no official Etsy policy stating cancellations count against you, but the company can always make a decision that impacts a shop’s revenue. Because of this, it’s wise to diversify your selling spots and not be too dependent on one place.
Etsy Order Cancellation Made Simple
No matter what store you order from, canceling an order is never a pleasant experience. While some e-commerce giants offer automatic cancellations, Etsy has made the process more difficult. In any case, as long as you have a valid reason for canceling your order and are equipped with patience, there shouldn’t be any issues.
This article should have provided you with all the information you need about canceling an Etsy order. Be sure to text your seller before contacting Etsy. Be sure to contact the buyer first if you’re a seller.
On Etsy, why do you usually have to cancel an order? During the process, did you encounter any problems? Feel free to share your experiences in the comments section below.